Categories of hosting solutions
A hosting service is related to storing and/or sharing specific content on a web server handled by a web hosting distributor. There are different categories of hosting services used for various goals, so let's have a glance at these. In that way, you can determine what you want, on the basis of whether you desire to build a web site, email accounts, or to share files with buddies and colleagues.
- File hosting: a service distributed by various providers, which allows you to share huge files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived documents, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its single designation is to share files, since it does not support site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either get a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to read an index of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to load .html or .php web page files in your browser. Free-of-cost file hosting solutions frequently include adverts next to the download links, while a timer obliges you to await a given spell of time to perceive them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you possess a paid file storage account, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download right away, and also there is no limit with regard to the download speed or the file size.
Nowadays, with the help of the cPanel hosting distributors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modish "cloud hosting". This is a totally imprecise interpretation of the real connotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting system would allot the tasks at hand between different bunches of servers in a cluster, which are committed to serving various hosting services (mail, disk space, stats, DNS, databases, site hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is simply a kind of a data storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: resembling file hosting; given companies offer a hosting service for images only. This hosting variant is good if you wish to share a big number of pics with friends or partners since the service is typically free of charge. You will receive a randomly generated link for every pic or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be utilized for web sites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution committed to tackling your email addresses. Some corporations offer hosting services for web pages, but do not supply an e-mail hosting service. If you want to have a mail address with your domain name but do not wish to possess a site, then the email hosting service is what you need. You can create electronic mail accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting service for the domains. The email hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this solution allows you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a specific video clip, or you can embed the video in your web site that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of utilizing this approach in lieu of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video file creates a particular amount of central processing unit load, so with a couple of video files and a few hundred viewers, you may have a hard time with your site hosting reserves. Embedding the video will enable you to own as many video files as you want without worrying about system reserves.
- Website hosting: this is the service that you need if you desire to run a website. To some degree, it contains all of the aforesaid hosting variants since, along with your sites, you can also host pics and files, you can keep databases and e-mail aliases, upload videos, and so on. At WebHost-ing.com, for instance, you can examine web hosting and dedicated hosting packages that allow you to get all of the aforementioned solutions in one place. There may be limitations depending on the form of hosting solution that you've settled on - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your website hosting account may be better or worse compared with the standard email/file/video/image hosting plans that are purposed for specific content solely.